Foodservice Institute
Black Phone Icon

Pick Logo Global Food Service Initiative
Shopping Cart CART 

Foodservice Institute

Phone Icon (561) 405-2525
Cart Cart
GI Bill Information

Helpful GI Bill Information

All GFI Certifications have been approved by the VA. Sign up for MCFBD for $1,999, and that covers all of the certifications—paid via the VA. Click on the following link, application for VA education benefits, to activate your GI Bill and click on the following link, application for reimbursement of licensing, to submit the class for reimbursement.  For a How To guide click on the following link, how to guide for using your GI Bill

How To Activate & Then Use Your GI Bill

First - you MUST understand that the VA will round up or down and take one month for each certification you submit to them.  If you submitted a $159 certification, they will take a month, if you submit the MCFBD certification, which is approved for $2215, they will also take one month.  So the only one you want to submit is the MCFBD.

Second, you have some decisions to make:

Montgomery Or Post 9/11 GI Bill?
The best advice is to contact the VA, but this is what we believe to be true. You can use the Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill. There are advantages to each, but the biggest reason to use the Post 9/11 seems to be that you can use it up to 15 years after you separate from the service (while Montgomery is only 10 years). It doesn't matter when you start using the benefits—the clock starts ticking when you leave the service.

Group Graduation Photo

Use It Yourself Or Give It To Family?
We've been told by a Navy career counselor that—if you have family to give it to—you should transfer at least 1% to the family member(s) because you must make that selection while on active duty. Once you get in to that process, you can swap it back and forth—even after you leave the service. Once you leave, you can no longer do that.

Use It Now Or Save It for After You Get Out?
Having used the GI Bill to earn his master's degree while still on active duty, Ed Manley walked the walk. We suggest using it when you have an opportunity. This way, when you get out, you can get a job. If you are the 1 in 16 people who uses their total entitlement, then some years down the road you will have to spend then what you used up now. We hope that our certifications will help you get a promotion or pay raise, so you can make much more than what you used for this class. You will use 4% or about 2 months, of your eligibility to do all 9 certifications for your MCFBD.

Some Helpful Tips for Filling Out Your Form
Before you take the test (or start the class) submit VA Form 2900. You can apply for benefits by completing the VONAPP application.

Form Hint
Do not fill out Block 10B because you are doing a certification (it tells you that—just read what it says). You will need your bank account and transit number for that form.

The VA will send you an email once your application has been received electronically. Send that to so that—when the class is over—we will hand you the certificates. Then, the VA sends you a letter saying you are eligible to use the GI Bill. Once you have taken and passed (or failed) the exam(s)—we will provide you with a special VA receipt, which shows the required information. You will submit VA Form 22-0803 along with that receipt either electronically or via fax.

In two to eight weeks, the VA will deposit the funds into your bank account. You can sign and date the form and then fax the form and the receipt to (918) 781-7863. You may scan and attach the receipt if you're submitting electronically.

You need to complete blocks 1 through 6B. For 6C, most will select Chapter 33, which is the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Chapter 30 is selected for those using the Montgomery GI Bill. In block 7, the name of the test is Master Certified Food and Beverage Director (MCFBD)—the name doesn't seem to fit, so we abbreviated the name on the example. Note that if you didn't take the MCFBD test, then you would list each individual test that you took. MCFBD covers all of the tests. In block 8, the name and address is: Global Foodservice Institute, P.O. Box 901, Brooks Hall, #213, Morrisville, NY 13408.

In block 9, list the date you took the MCFBD examination (that was the last day of the symposium, and it is noted on the receipt that we provided). In block 10, the cost for MCFBD is $1,999. If the representative can't find the certification(s), visit The United States Department Of Veterans Affairs. Then—under LAC Category Type—select Certifications. Click on NY and then find Master Certified Food and Beverage Director on the list.

Certification cost - it is only worth using your gi bill if you earn the mcfbd


  • Master Certified Foodservice Professional (MCFP) - $159
  • Certified Foodservice Professional (CFP) - $159
  • Certified Foodservice Supervisor (CFS) - $159

Food Safety

  • Certified HACCP Professional (CHP) - $339
  • Simply Safe Foodservice Certified (SSFC) - $139

Food Service Specializations

  • Certified Culinary Professional (CCP - Level I) - $234
  • Certified Culinary Professional (CCP - Levels II to III) - $429
  • Certified Beverage Professional (CBP) - $279
  • Certified in Alcohol Service (CAS) - ServSafe Alcohol - $79
  • Certified in Culinary Nutrition (CCN) - $179
  • Certified in Customer Service (CCS) - $179

The Ultimate Certification

  • Master Certified F&B Director (MCFBD) - $199
  • Master Certified F&B Director (MCFBD) - Package Price - $1,999

The package includes all required sub-certifications. $2,000 is the maximum that the VA will pay for certifications. You'll receive $216 in savings over paying for each class individually.

For the VA's website for licensing and certification, click here.

Sign up for Certifications